This year marks the first-ever Breeders’ Cup World Championships at the beautiful beachside Del Mar Racetrack in southern California. “Where the Turf Meets the Surf’ often bests describes the lifestyle and fashion for dressing up in Del Mar. The Del Mar Racetrack backdrop consists of the classic ‘California dreamin’ scenery, warm sunshine, traditional tall palm trees, and stylish spectators. Dress your BEST when it comes to the 2017 Breeders’ Cup! Remember, Ladies and gents, always top off the outfit with your favorite fascinator or fedora from Christine Moore Millinery, the Official Milliner of the Breeders’ Cup.
2017 Style Tips
Del Mar, California weather in the month of November is characterized by gradually falling daily high temperatures from mid-to-low 70°F, and evening temperatures can potentially drop into the low 60°’s. Layering with your favorite cashmere wraps to light-weight trendy jackets will be key for this year’s Breeders’ Cup.
Classic Lace overlay dresses: old Hollywood glamour in a classic laced overlay dress in a bright orange or fall-inspired color will be a showstopper.
Layer up!: Cashmere wraps or lightweight leather jacket will top off the look to keep you just warm enough when the cooler temperatures drop
Shoes: For the perfect combination of style and comfort select a shoe with a chunky heel or wedge. If you’re feeling super equestrian and edgy, go for a dressy boot.
Equestrian Accessories: From horse bits to stirrup styled jewelry, break out your best equestrian accessories for the Breeders’ Cup
Hat: Always wear your most fabulous fascinator or hat. If you don’t have one, contact Christine A. Moore for the perfect fit.
- Classic sport coat: stick to neutral tones for a modern, sophisticated look. Sport coats provide a sporty, natty attitude for the Breeders’ Cup. Navy, brown, or cream are great options for Del Mar traditional style.
- Khaki or dark-colored pants: Guys, break our your most flattering pants that accentuate your style.
- Tailored dress shirt: Consider a dress shirt in a fun color, but still keep to a somewhat neutral palette, like light blue. Del Mar calls for a more relaxed, sophisticated look and isn’t as colorful as playful as what you might wear to the Derby.
- Fedora: Accessorize the style with a color coordinated trimmed brim Fedora. Christine A. Moore has great looks in the ‘Blake’ collection.
- Necktie (optional) or pocket square: Whatever suits your style whether a necktie or pocket square, accessorizing with horse bits or pony prints will add some equestrian style flair to the outfit.
- Leather lace-up or slip on shoes: Comfort is key, sso pick the shoes that are going to be comfortable standing, walking, and of course, betting in… Wear your best lucky loafers!
For some more complete looks, check out some of the outfits we styled for this year’s Breeders’ Cup World Championships. And remember, always top off your outfit with just the perfect headpiece: a fedora, fascinator, or fabulous hat!
While you’re on site at Del Mar for Breeders’ Cup 2017, sure to stop by the Christine A. Moore Millinery booth to get entered to WIN a hat valued up to $500.