Introducing another fabulous Equestrian Event coming up for this October: The 54th Annual Washington International Horse Show. Rain or shine, this indoor equestrian event is attended yearly by presidents, first ladies, celebrities, business and military leaders, as well as countless horse enthusiasts of all ages…
The Washington International Horse Show is one of the most prestigious equestrian events to attend as a spectator as well as a competitor. The show runs from October 23-28th (Tuesday-Sunday). I will warn you, hotels are scarce, so hurry up and get your tickets and reservations booked for this fast-paced entertainment-packed week in Washington DC.
Fast Facts about the Washington International Horse Show:
Founded in 1958, it is the country’s leading metropolitan indoor horse show. More than 500 of the top national and international horse and riders compete in six full days of exciting competition (including Olympic veterans).
Highlights of this fabulous equestrian event include:
$100,000 President’s Cup Grand Prix
The Puissance high-jump competition
The WIHS Equitation Finals featuring the country’s top junior riders.
Kids’ Day, Barn Night, special exhibitions and boutique shopping round out this family-friendly event.
601 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004 (corner of 7th and F Streets, NW)
How To Get There
Take Metrorail or Metrobus to the “Gallery Place-Chinatown” stop for an easy trip to the show. The Metro station is located below Verizon Center. Directions to Verizon Center.
Highlights For The Event:
- Tuesday evening: WIHS Children’s & Adult Hunter Championships
- Wednesday evening: WIHS Adult Jumper Championships
- Thursday evening: Barn Night! $20,000 Gamblers Choice Costume Class
- Friday evening: $25,000 Puissance (high-jump)
- Saturday evening: $100,000 President’s Cup Grand Prix, WIHS Equitation Finals
- Friday/Saturday: WIHS Equitation Finals (hunter and jumper phases)
- Saturday: Kids’ Day (10 am-2 pm) – free family-friendly event
- Sunday: Pony Hunters, Pony Equitation, WIHS Regional Hunter Finals
… It’s a packed week of events that is surely not to be missed!
Below are a few of our favorite antique photos from previous Washington International Horse Show years… Enjoy!